Two months ago, I posted a list of my short term writing goals (see the full post here). It’s been a grueling couple of months, full of sick kids (hey, at least being tethered to the house meant lots of time for writing), stress, and a measles scare,* but I promised to let you know how I did with my goals, so here we go:
1. Continue to write one blog post each week. If you’ve been following my blog at all, you know I’ve managed this one. Some weeks may have been harder than others, but I still get to tick it off. Yay!
2. Work on revising my MG Fantasy. Also a big check mark for this one! I love this shiny new version more than words can express. Now if only someone else will love it, too.
3. Perfect the 250-word synopsis for my YA Contemporary draft. Another yes! According to my crit partners, my synopsis has them itching to read on, but I’ll have to wait and see what other critiquers think.
4. Name my YA Contemporary draft (my working titles just aren’t, well…working). D’oh. You’d think this would be the easiest of them all. I mean, hypothetically, I only had to come up with one word. But I couldn’t seem to find the right word (or combination of words). I did come up with a title I liked better, but a quick Google search told me it’d already been used for not one, but two, other books. So, for now, I’ll be keeping its working title, GEEK.
5. Apply for a SCBWI Work-in-Progress Grant (for that YA Contemporary draft). Yeah, this one didn’t happen either. When I went back to read the fine print before sending, I saw that the “Work-in-Progress” grant is actually for completed, polished, ready-to-submit-to-an-editor pieces, which my YA isn’t. I debated sending a PB, but I was short on time at that point, and I didn’t think a rushed entry would do my work justice.
6. Decide which manuscripts to submit for the various levels of critique at the Montreal SCBWI Conference at the end of May. Done and done. For insights on how I made that decision, check out my post here.
BONUS I also wrote a first draft of a PB that’s been kicking around my brain for a while. It needs a lot of work, but it’s the first completely new material I’ve written since my concussion almost a year ago.
So there you have it. I’m happy with my results (okay, I wish I could’ve come up with a better name for the YA, but otherwise I’m happy). Now to start working on my goals for the next two months. What about you? How’d you do on your goals?
*The measles-scare story: The Girl had a rash that was diagnosed as Influenza A. About 5 days later Boy #1 woke up with an even worse rash. Took him to the doctor, who wasn’t sure if his rash was the same as the Girl’s, or measles. I know what you’re thinking, but we vaccinated, honest. However, vaccines are only 99% effective. We came exceptionally close to getting quarantined that day, but fortunately the docs realized it was very, very unlikely for a vaccinated kid to get measles within days of his sister having a completely unrelated rash. We’re not quarantined, but Boy #1 is not allowed out of the house until they rule out measles. Results came in this week that he does NOT have Influenza A like his sister, but they are still testing for a few other viruses before testing for measles – which means we still might all end up in quarantine…